Sunday, May 2, 2010

Bats

Charlotte and I were watching tv when I noticed that a bat was circling the room over our heads.
Lisa:  "Don't freak out, but could you please pause the dvd and turn off the light?"
Charlotte: "Why?"
Lisa:  "There's a bat."
Charlotte:  "But I thought we weren't supposed to be afraid of bats."
Ultimately, we had two or three bats, visiting nearly every room in the house (I don't think it ever entered the downstairs bathroom, and it might not have been in the kitchen, but everywhere else).  One or two we managed to encourage to fly out a window.  One didn't manage that, and was collected the next morning (alive but disenheartened) by an animal control officer, who took it away for rabies testing.

And so, in tribute to our bats, I offer this poem, recited by the Mad Hatter in Alice in Wonderland:
    Twinkle, twinkle, little bat!
    How I wonder where you're at!
    Up above the world you fly,
    Like a teatray in the sky.
    Twinkle, twinkle little bat!
    How I wonder where you're at!